Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
GPS

VGA: Myths vs Facts, let's discuss!

20 posts in this topic

2 most common recurring themes most members here might notice are the topic of 'reseals vs factory seals' and VGA-related topics. So i think it's about time we talk more in detail about VGA and to set the records straight regarding any misconceptions, and to point out what are the myths and what are the facts. This topic is aimed towards the newer members to have a better insight into the world of VGA, especially if they are curious to find out but remain neutral or undecided. Perhaps this can make the VGA haters to hate VGA less..

Myth 1: How can they call themselves Video Game Authority, when they don't know about sealed collecting more than most members in the sealed collecting scene?..Authority my ass!

Fact: As we know, the "A" in the VGA stands for "Authority". VGA originated from CGA, which were the graders of originally sealed toys. VGA may not know more than the common sealed collector, but they utilize info from various well-respected sources and they have the tools and know-how to inspect for fakes or reseals. So in this regard, we should read "Sealed Grading Professionals" when we read "VGA", and not take the word "Authority" too literally. 

Myth 2: Why bother sending in your games, when they just randomly select a number between 85 and 90..It's just a waste!

Fact: From personal experiences and from witnessing graded games from other sealed collectors, I can honestly say that there is a method and system to what VGA does and how they grade items. Sure, it's not perfect and will not be a suitable grading scheme for everyone, but I digress! The reason why so many games you see gets score of 80s to 90, are simply because people tend to submit their best conditioned games (whether to get best grades for display or for resell purposes). Noone in their right mind will send in a beat up, spit on, shat on copy of their favorite sealed titles!

Although there has been some silly submissions such as the infamous NES Mario Bros VGA10!

The VGA graded low scores further highlights the fact VGA does do their job in the right manner.

Myth 3: All people who collect VGA are just resellers, and in it for the profit only.

Fact: There are generally 2 types of collectors, and this would apply to any field of collecting: the collector collector and the collector reseller. Some people collect simply because they want the best conditioned game as a treasured-piece display, whilst some collect VGA for the challenge of the rarest games in the best known condition. Whatever the reasons, it is pretty damn silly just to generalize all VGA collectors as one type of personality/purpose! It would be no different to someone saying "all sealed collectors are rich geeks!"

Any other myths you guys can think of?

Thanks for clearing that up GPS, was just about to send a game covered in saliva and poo lol

Thanks for clearing that up GPS, was just about to send a game covered in saliva and poo lol

Don't worry about it, it's gonna get graded 85, 85+ or 90....trust me...

Thanks John, like to read your great themes without much meaning. +1 for training me English.  :)

Thanks John, like to read your great themes without much meaning. +1 for training me English.  :)

Thanks Sedy, I like to reach out to those who like to read English lol. Your grammar had error, should read "like to read your great themes without much understanding". Otherwise, you mean my themes do not have meaning. :/

Myth : Q = POOO

Fact : Q = POOO

Dave, utilizing this awesome formula, I have concluded that.........there are several Poo lovers amongst SGH!

GPS is the new Rog :D

Lel! :clap:

@topic

Q = not always poo. Depending on the games to be honest (my opinion).

Myth: All Q grades = Poo

Fact: Not always!

Here are some set of equations (opinion more than fact):

- If game originally was factory sealed, Q grade = Poo

- If game originally was never factory sealed, Q grade = acceptable, but mainly for the highest grades known

- Q grade of any title (sealed or unsealed) that is the only game known to exist = HOLY GRAIL!

- Q grade with score of 100 = ?impossible?

Sorry mate, I'm with Dave on this one Q = Poo

I think VGA should bin the whole Q grade :P

What I don't like is that if you send in what you believe to be a sealed game but VGA have suspicions and need to open it to grade under the qualified grading scale, what happens when they find it really was a factory seal? Then still give it a Q grade, waste of a sealed game because someone had suspicions or doesn't have the knowledge/experience to know what's right/wrong.

All games that came unsealed should still be able to be verified if opened/unopened with the right inspection techniques (flap creases, marks, etc). Some could argue the box has damage but the contents inside are new, maybe there should be a SB grade then? Shit Box! :D

I know I'm in the minority in saying that Q games can have their own charm and uniqueness, but I think we should all take the time to think it through:

Myth - ALL Q games = POO

Fact, if the games originally came as factory sealed, the general consensus on SGH is that Q grades don't mean jack all, and people would rather buy a sealed copy irregardless of the Q grade.

But the Myth statement above is that we are talking ALL Q graded games, which includes games of prototype versions, or games which never was produced as factory sealed. So if we look at the bigger picture of all Q games population, then there are merits to why Q grades can be useful, and sometimes even necessary to combat the repro scene.

Personally, if a game is extremely hard to find as mint copy, let alone brand new, then a Q grade of this game would be simply awesome!

I'll just take a random pick of an example: N64 Clayfighter's Sculptor's Cut Q85+. Is it something you would laugh at? or something you would look at admirably?

I thought prototypes and games that never came in boxes got NG from VGA?

Any game that didn't get a factory seal (cellophane, shrink wrap, sticker, etc) should have come in a box (Famicom, Super Famicom, Australia NES & SNES, etc) which VGA should be able to tell if the box has ever been opened or not by inspecting the flaps and corners. This making it able to be graded under the standard tier and not qualified :) This is the reason I feel like there shouldn't be a Q grade at all. Just Standard grading and No grade.

I get where you're coming from GPS :D just throwing in my 5 cents ;)

Buying qualified is exactly the same as buying CIB to me. If I was looking for a mint CIB game and a Q graded copy come up for the same price I'd have no issues buying it! I would definitely break it out of the Q graded box though lol

Buying qualified is exactly the same as buying CIB to me. If I was looking for a mint CIB game and a Q graded copy come up for the same price I'd have no issues buying it! I would definitely break it out of the Q graded box though lol

...but u know that VGA doesnt grade CIB games really, unless they are brand new, never used. A q-grade stands for a brand new, never used game. Its something very different than a CIB used shit game for example u know. To sum all this up - you actually mean "buying qualified is exactly the same as buying NIB to me". Thank me later, thanks. :police::P

I think there is somewhat of a myth regarding Q games:

Myth - I can just get a Mint Box and "frankenstein" it with a Mint game and manual, and voila! Q grade game!

Fact - VGA Q graded games imply brand new (but opened) with unused game/contents.

- there is a definite distinction between a mint copy manual/cart versus a brand new manual/cart. Mint but used copies are likely to leave finger marks or slight scratches to the labels. Cart contacts may have signs of wear not obvious from a quick inspection. Also the cart baggy can give clues on whether the cart has been taken out.

- So if you want to do a Frankenstein (mix and match one box of one game and cart/manual of another game), then it's theoretically possible for a mint box mixed with brand new contents from another game. Mint box mixed with mint (used) game/manual will likely get rejected from VGA.

Myth - Q grades are pointless

Fact - Q grades can be useful to ensure that the game is not a repro or game is indeed new/unused. This is mainly relevant if game originally was never factory sealed. It's important to acknowledge the value of Q graded games, as nowadays repro sellers are getting smarter and repro games are looking near identical from the real thing! By VGA inspecting the inside contents, this will give the best chance to confirm authenticity. If anything, having Q grades can act to deter repro sellers from continuing to sell repro items, as once if the item is rejected by VGA, then the repro seller would be blacklisted and their business will be affected.

- if game was originally factory sealed, and the seal was badly damaged, then it would make sense to take off the seal and keep it as a display piece. Q graded game in this case, has some value as at least it tells us that the game is brand new and box was never opened. This Q grade would help to distinguish it from being a different species compared with a Mint box but opened (used/unused).

Myth - I can just get a Mint Box and "frankenstein" it with a Mint game and manual, and voila! Q grade game!

No, this just makes it a mint box with mint game and manual (MIB). You would need to send it into VGA to get a Q Grade and one would hope that they would figure out pretty quickly that it doesn't qualify for any type of grading.

I think you misunderstand me GPS. I was comparing my personal opinion of a "MIB game that's been opened to the world and used or not used" to a "Q Graded game that has been opened at least once but with confirmed new contents in a sealed acrylic VGA graded box". To me they're the same thing as 1. The factory box has been opened at least once, 2. If I'm buying a box that's been opened I don't really care if the contents inside have been used or are confirmed new as if I'm buying "mint" chances are it's going to be hard to tell the difference without a magnifying glass and ultraviolet lamp.

Fact is, all factory boxed games without "seals" show signs if they have been opened or not. If you believe the contents inside an opened boxed game are new and want them graded then that's great but I think VGA should only grade those contents and not include the game box inside the acrylic VGA graded box. To comment about the Repro game boxes, this also falls on VGA to know what's legit and what's not before grading. This is what we pay them for isn't it? ;)

I always enjoy your topics and posts GPS, please don't take any of this the wrong way :D

I was comparing my personal opinion of a "MIB game that's been opened to the world and used or not used" to a "Q Graded game that has been opened at least once but with confirmed new contents in a sealed acrylic VGA graded box". To me they're the same thing as 1. The factory box has been opened at least once, 2. If I'm buying a box that's been opened I don't really care if the contents inside have been used or are confirmed new as if I'm buying "mint" chances are it's going to be hard to tell the difference without a magnifying glass and ultraviolet lamp.

...but u cant tell me that for you a mint game is the same like a brand new/never used game. Whats your most favorite game you are after but which u just cant find for many years? Imagine someone offers you a mint copy (which u cant let grade at all as it was used already, its just a normal CIB/MIB game u own there now) and another guy offers you a brand new/never used/maybe never touched the contents-copy of the same game where you have the chance to let it grade via the Q-grade. What do you prefer? Imagine the mint copy will cost you 200,- and the brand new/never used/NIB game will cost you 300,- but u have the chance to let grade it via the Q-grade and u always will know that the game inside was never touched/is still brand new/never used and nicely safed in the VGA acrylic case. Which copy you prefer to buy? Do you prefer to spend the 200,- on the mint game only of which probably 100 copies exist or do you prefer to spend 300,- on the new copy of which probably only 5 copies exist? Dont forget, you were searching for this game for many years before you got offered it! I dont think you shit on the 100,- gbp and would always buy the new copy! :o

If you let grade it qualified then or not, thats of course another story and your own decision. Just wanted to show you, that a mint (MIB) copy is long not the same as a brand new/never used/NIB copy. :)

I dont own q-graded games myself, but if i get offered both versions of the same game (MIB and NIB) after many years of search, i would always buy the new game, even if it costs 100,- more - and let it grade under the Q-scale. Its a much better feeling to know, that i have a game, which is ultra rare, in brand new/never used condition in my collection, than when i would own a mint copy only of the same game.

In principle is q-grading the mid of CIB collecting and sealed collecting i would say. Either you are happy with it or not, but its still better (and a difference) than to own a mint copy only of a game.

Good points there justice :) I personally don't want to own any Q Graded games. To answer your question would I choose new/never used contents inside over MIB for a few extra dollars, sure! but I wouldn't send it off for grading and still include it amongst my MIB collection in box protectors.

Because I mainly collect PS1 games there is no reason for me to ever own a Q Graded VGA box. There are some AUS SNES games I would like to collect some day (DKC 1, 2 & 3) but the chances of finding these with standard grading is pretty much impossible so I'm more than happy to buy MIB. There was an AUS copy of DKC3 which was Q Graded that was available recently. I was going to buy it and break it out of the box but the actual game box was pretty beaten up so I just thought I'd wait until later when I'm actively searching for those titles ;) 

My points are against qualified grading and not new/never used contents vs MIB. This is all just my own opinion though and people should just collect what they want :D

GPS, start a thread called: Should Qualified Grading exist? as I think we've deviated a little from your original post :P

@Anime, I can see from your vantage point regarding Q grades. It can be frustrating and also confusing having the different tier of grading. However, this is the whole point of this thread - to demystify what is opinion and what is fact, in relation to Q grades or VGA grading in general. So really, it's to discuss and to understand VGA a bit more, and to just be more open-minded about VGA. The thread was never intended to convince anyone to go out and buy a VGA game, but just to allow people to make better informed decisions.

Remember guys, we need to distinguish between an opinion, a myth and a fact. We're here to help the newbies, not to confuse them more! :)

My points are against qualified grading and not new/never used contents vs MIB. This is all just my own opinion though and people should just collect what they want :D

GPS, start a thread called: Should Qualified Grading exist? as I think we've deviated a little from your original post :P

Mate, you are welcome to start your own thread anytime ;)