VGA

Welcome to Sealed Game Heaven

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Sealed Game Heaven, the internet's #1 forum devoted to Sealed Video Game collectors! You’ll find that this is a place where many fellow sealed collectors will not only show and discuss sealed games, but also partake in the buying, selling & trading of both sealed and unsealed games. At SGH we don’t discriminate against any of the big 3 companies or PAL / NTSC, rather we enjoy discussion about games from all the consoles and eras (Modern, Vintage; Atari & Sega; Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft). To view and use our community, you must become a member. This is a simple free process & once done you’ll gain access to:

- Our Game Sale & Trade Boards.
- Sealed Game Databases from Every Console.
- Information on Seal Types, Styles & Variants for both NTSC and PAL.
- Frequent updates on both Pal and NTSC Sealed Game Listing’s.
- Confirmation & Evidence in relation to Factory Seals & Reseals.
- VGA Discussion Forum & Guides for your First Submissions.
- What is a Game Worth? Well simply join and ask in our game value sub section.

Happy Hunting!

All new accounts will be validated by our admins within 24-48 hours :)

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

Metal Gear Solid: Special Missions (PAL-German)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Peacock

Posted 05 March 2017 - 10:40 AM

Hey guys,

after that bad experience with the fake-sealed Crash Bandicoot, I'm pretty mad about scammers, now, and looking very closely at the seals, comparing with each other and so on.

With this one here, I may need your help: Could it be a professional reseal?

There are some things that makes it suspicious for me, but I also have to say that I don't have much experience with the seals of big boxes, yet, and nothing comparable for this special type with the golden tear-strip.

Well, here are my main reasons for doubting its legacy:

1)On both sides, the y-folds section seems a bit loose, because there is air inbetween. But could this also simply be due to its age (dried or vanished glue between the folds)?
2)The hologram sticker has several small black spots. Is there a chemical explanation behind these?
3)There's a small bit of loose dirt behind the wrap, maybe because the wrap isn't too tight at all? (especially see the close-up photo of the back cover)

Otherwise, everything else looks normal to me: The covers and the case seem mint. Also, it's weight seems okay.

So, what do you think? Am I too hysterical, meanwhile?

Attached Files

#2 OFFLINE   GPS

• Collection
  • Regional Focus:PAL

Posted 05 March 2017 - 01:03 PM

This is one of those examples where it's very hard to know if it's a worn factory seal, or a professional reseal. The golden strips are unique to the MGS Special Missions. I have a same copy with same tear-strip. However, there are a few signs that either it has been tampered with or it's very worn with dirt/dust settling inside the seal. The hologram sticker shows some sticker residue sign (or perhaps it's on the cellophane on top of the hologram sticker?), which raises the most suspicion. Also, on one of either the top or bottom surfaces, the seal looks a bit suspicious around the middle part, with some uneven glue smudge.

I'm leaning towards it being an original factory seal, but its seal has come apart and later reglued again. Have you got any further thoughts @Peacock?

#3 OFFLINE   Peacock

Posted 06 March 2017 - 02:40 AM

Thanks for your opinion! :-)

Meanwhile, I did a bit of further research.

At first, the background story of this purchase: There had been a German videogame seller who got bankrupt and had to close his shop. He had given the remaining stuff to one of his creditors, as a kind of debt repayment. Then, this stuff was stored in the creditor's basement for several years. Recently, the creditor, who himself had no knowledge about games, gave it to a friend who he ordered to sell these on eBay.
My MGS:SpM copy came along with a factory-sealed official strategy guide of MGS (which BTW looks absolutely legit). Other auctions of this seller contained older stuff only: games, consoles and extras for N64, GBC, Dreamcast, PS1.
I think that this story is true, and that it could point towards a legit seal.

Also, I compared with three other pictures of factory-sealed copies on eBay: All features are the same with those of mine, especially the five "air bubbles" along the unsealing side and the airy look of the whole wrap.
I don't think that it's possible to fake these "air bubbles" within the wrap.

The only thing that's unique to mine are the small black spots on the hologram sticker. They're placed directly on it. But it doesn't look like dirt...
Also, I've seen these spots on other sealed PS1 games. So, what could that be, instead? Maybe some signs of oxidation?

And, what bothers me the most, are the dirt bits underneath the wrap. May it be possible, that they slipped underneath the wrap, over all the years?
Because I have to admit, that I don't know, if it's possible for dust to slip underneath the wrap of a factory-sealed copy...

Well, as you can see, I'm a bit more confident, now, that my copy is legit. But there are still some doubts I have.

Maybe you can help me clarifying these, especially the last-mentioned two?

#4 OFFLINE   master-kev

Posted 06 March 2017 - 06:51 AM

Hey Peacock,

I've got also many PS1 games - and in my opinion its not a reason to be hysterical :)

The cello looks good (at least from the photos), and also big bubbles are typical.

Furthermore I also have some copies (some no-name games that no one would fake) and there are some particles / dust under the cello too.

So I guess you can sleep easy :)

#5 OFFLINE   Peacock

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:46 AM

Thanks a lot for blowing all my sorrows with these game away! :-D

Sounds a bit dumb, but I never noticed particles of dust and dirt under the seals before.
But, if I consider that the goddamn dust even slips into some of my closed DVD cases - although they're additionally stored inside a storage box -, then why not underneath the wrap as well?

About the spots on the hologram sticker: Is that some sort of oxidation because of age?
Because, like I said before: It's definitely not dirt, and only concentrated on the sticker surface itself.
Also, I ordered a factory-sealed copy of CB2 from Portugal. I don't have it, yet, but I could see on the photos, that there are these spots placed on the sticker, too.

#6 OFFLINE   GPS

• Collection
  • Regional Focus:PAL

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:47 AM

@Peacock, if you collect enough PS1 sealed games, you'd notice that some specks of dust is not too uncommon. All it takes is a slight loosening of the factory seal and specks/dirt can then enter. The thing that raises the most suspicion in relation to your game, is at the PS logo, with the spots on the hologram sticker. To me, they seem to be signs of wear to the hologram sticker, perhaps even from moisture effect. This makes me think that the cellophane has come loose at some stage and for specks and moisture to then enter.

Even my unsealed mint cases, I do not often see those signs of spots on the PS logo. Definitely I think it's a sign the case has been exposed in the open, or at least the factory seal has come loose partially. Just some of my thoughts only, I might still be wrong!