VGA

Welcome to Sealed Game Heaven

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Sealed Game Heaven, the internet's #1 forum devoted to Sealed Video Game collectors! You’ll find that this is a place where many fellow sealed collectors will not only show and discuss sealed games, but also partake in the buying, selling & trading of both sealed and unsealed games. At SGH we don’t discriminate against any of the big 3 companies or PAL / NTSC, rather we enjoy discussion about games from all the consoles and eras (Modern, Vintage; Atari & Sega; Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft). To view and use our community, you must become a member. This is a simple free process & once done you’ll gain access to:

- Our Game Sale & Trade Boards.
- Sealed Game Databases from Every Console.
- Information on Seal Types, Styles & Variants for both NTSC and PAL.
- Frequent updates on both Pal and NTSC Sealed Game Listing’s.
- Confirmation & Evidence in relation to Factory Seals & Reseals.
- VGA Discussion Forum & Guides for your First Submissions.
- What is a Game Worth? Well simply join and ask in our game value sub section.

Happy Hunting!

All new accounts will be validated by our admins within 24-48 hours :)

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

A fake-sealed PS1 game (Crash Bandicoot)?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Peacock

• Regional Focus:PAL

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:15 AM

Hey guys,

I need your help: Is it possible meanwhile to imitate the factory-sealed look of PS1 games?

I recently bought a factory-sealed copy of CB1 for about 150£, and as you can see in the pictures, front cover and side label don't look pristine, but used or damaged.

I'm really worried about that, because on the one side I always thought it was impossible to fake-seal a PS1 or PS2 game, and on the other side this was other than a cheap purchase...

Do you think it's fake, or is there a solid and convincing explanation for the non-pristine look?

Attached Files

#2 OFFLINE   Lyonz

• Collection
  • Regional Focus:PAL, NTSC-U/C, JAP

Posted 21 February 2017 - 08:41 AM

Looks fake to me...

#3 OFFLINE   Matt92

Posted 21 February 2017 - 11:59 AM

£150 for a platinum Crash?  :mellow:

#4 OFFLINE   totoro

• Collection

Posted 21 February 2017 - 12:35 PM

it does not look good to me ...

yfolds should reveal everything though

#5 OFFLINE   justice

• Collection

Posted 21 February 2017 - 05:34 PM

Hey Peacock. Im no psx expert, but i agree with you, the side label and frontcover dont look like they would be new. We just had a similar case of such a psx game some weeks ago in this forum - the buyer opened the game and found out that it was not new anymore or another game was in there, cant remember anymore exactly. If i was you, i would want back a refund for this game. Psx sealed games are not easy to collect at all and easy to fake-seal them i think. Much harder than to collect sealed Nintendo games for example. My opinion. Respect to all sealed psx collectors! Good Luck whatever u decide to do @Peacock.

#6 OFFLINE   Peacock

Posted 21 February 2017 - 06:00 PM

Thanks a lot for your helpful and valuable opinions!

Here are a few pictures of the y-folds section as well as of a front and back look.

That's really shocking to hear that PS1 games can be fake-sealed in such a professional way that they look legit at first glance...
If that's the case, I have to check some other copies, too, which I recently purchased!

But why would someone do that with a Platinum release?

Attached Files

#7 OFFLINE   GPS

• Collection

Posted 22 February 2017 - 06:50 AM

Peacock, I think deep down you already know the answer that it's likely to be a reseal. Are you hoping for us to convince you it's a legit factory seal? :)

In this case, Y-folds look hard to fault! But the front label has too much signs of creasing and small signs of wear to suggest that this is not a real factory sealed. Goes to show that Y-folds can be overrated!

#8 OFFLINE   Peacock

Posted 22 February 2017 - 07:46 AM

No, but that's the part in me that wants an end of this nightmare...

It's much worse now: I have been fooled with all my PS1 CB games, except Crash Bash which looks flawlessly legit. Tonight I checked CB2, CB3 and CTR: They all have similiar signs of wear.

But to top it off, there's no CD inside! By holding the transparent sides in front of a light and looking through, you can recognize the shapes and reflections of the CD - if there is one...

I'm so incredibly sad, because I was freaking excited for at least a month that I had acquired all PS1 CB games...

#9 OFFLINE   totoro

• Collection

Posted 22 February 2017 - 08:48 AM

who is the seller?

#10 OFFLINE   Peacock

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:18 AM

Sorry, but I won't tell publicly, yet, since I first want my money back (just to make sure he's not reading his name here).

But if you want to know, feel free to PM me. ;-)

#11 OFFLINE   ZeldaFreak

Posted 22 February 2017 - 10:51 AM

Could it be a factory fuck up?

#12 OFFLINE   Peacock

Posted 23 February 2017 - 01:13 AM

No, unfortunately not: too much suspicious signs... And this picture here of CB1 is for illustration: NO CD inside!

Attached Files

#13 OFFLINE   deedeedoo

• Regional Focus:NTSC-U/C

Posted 23 February 2017 - 04:02 PM

That's just the downside of collecting these days. Just when you think these reseals are going to get better day by day... smh lol

I believe every collector here has a bad story, take it as a lesson & hopefully you get your money back soon!

#14 OFFLINE   Peacock

Posted 23 February 2017 - 06:10 PM

Yep, the most important lesson I've learned by this is, that it's possible to fake the factory-sealed look of PS1 games (maybe that goes for PS2 also).

I always relied blindly on the fact: If it has a Playstation-tear-strip and y-folds, then it definitely has to be a factory-sealed copy. Very sad, that this doesn't suffice anymore...

From now on I will check every Playstation game I'll buy thoroughly about every single evidence I know of. If there would be anything wrong or not at the usual place, I would either return it immediately or post it here, if it's more tricky.

Now it is to me to also check my whole collection of PS1 and PS2 games as well...

#15 OFFLINE   GPS

• Collection

Posted 23 February 2017 - 09:46 PM

Hi peacock, please have a read of the thread "misconceptions about reseals" in the Tutorials section. Maybe you can give some input to that thread now you have a lot more experience. Consider yourself now a smarter collector. It's like changing from puberty to adulthood hehe

#16 OFFLINE   Peacock

Posted 23 February 2017 - 10:27 PM

Yes, I will definitely take a look, in the next days. :-)

Glad to hear that I'm not a greenhorn, anymore! :-P

#17 OFFLINE   Peacock

Posted 04 April 2017 - 02:34 AM

Well, finally, it's time to tell you the rest of the whole story, and my odyssey in search for real factory-sealed CB Platinum releases up to the present day. May it show you, how difficult it is nowadays to find the real deal of a classic PS1 game.

(Unfortunately, my work kept me very busy during the past one and a half months, so that writing larger amounts of text wasn't affordable for me, or at least not comfortable, since I was limited to my smartphone, only.)

At first - because I had received several PMs asking for it - here's the name of the fake-sealing seller at eBay, and a big WARNING not to buy anything from her: thepope15

She is still active, there, and had sold large amounts of fake-sealed PS1 games, either of the Crash Bandicoot or the Resident Evil series. Her standard method is to start an auction regarding the former titles, and if you're not the highest bidder, she would send you an offer to lower bidders. In my case, I received it as the third highest bidder. She would send the package to you without writing her real name on it (Anne-Marie Lynass, BTW; it took me a bit of research to find it out).

And this is, what happened, shortly after my last post:

At first, I wrote to her that the game was fake, and told her in detail of all the flaws it had. At first, she claimed that it could be a manufacturing error, but after sending her the photo showing no CD inside and a wrong manual, she excused for the whole transaction and told me to send it back to her, for a full refund, including returning costs. That's what I did (with tracking, to avoid any problems); after I got fully refunded, she excused again for what had happened and claimed to have had absolutely no clue that this game was a fake. That was the last thing I heard of her (she didn't answer my last e-mail)...

That's it alright? Think again!

Almost parallel to this act, I was checking my other four CB games that I had bought from a big commercial UK seller, who I'm very familiar with (I'm one of his steady customers for several years). And like I said before, except for Crash Bash, these all turned out as fakes, with the same signs: worn covers, either wrong or turned-around manuals, and no CDs inside.

So, I wrote to him, telling my findings. Of course, he told me to return the faulty items. Luckily, he immediately refunded me completely, before I could even bring them to my local post office. :-D

Around the same time, I was investigating the profile of thepope15, and when scrolling down her ratings, I was totally shocked: The name of my commercial UK seller was in the list! I immediately told him of my CB1 experience. And guess what: He replied that the had bought the three games (except Crash Bash) from this seller, along with many other copies of CB and RE, which he had won at all the auctions, that she had made over the last years! He opened some of these games - only to find out that they were empty...

Luckily, he hadn't sold many of these faulty items to other customers, yet (he offers them for relatively high prices ^^), so there wasn't much damage to his business. However, he lost a lot of money, because most of these purchases had taken place much earlier. Nonetheless, this way I was able to save him - and many other customers.

A week later, I stumbled across a wonderful offer from a French eBayer: Crash Bandicoot 1-3 (Platinum) plus a big stuffed Crash figure - "HELL, what a poetic justice!" I thought - and I immediately hit the "Buy it now" button. As a precaution, I asked her about the origin of these games. She replied: UK, about six months ago. I was fearing the worst, so I told her to check the games with the light trick (see my last photo). And guess what: all three were empty! She cancelled the purchase and I got refunded.

(Important sidenote: Shortly after that, I was able to purchase a real factory-sealed copy, each of CB2 and CB3: The former was from a private Portuguese seller, the latter from my beloved commercial UK seller. Also, last week, I was able to track down CTR at eBay.co.uk. It took me some tries to convince the seller to make the shipment internationally. Now, there's only the first part left, and with this game, my odyssey continues.)

Two days later, I stumbled across an offer of CB1 from an American seller from Pennsylvania. As a precaution, I didn't purchase immediately, but mailed him first, telling him of all my past experiences and asking him to check with the light trick. And guess what: He was fooled, too. He said that he had bought the game a year ago from the UK...

Two weeks ago, I stumbled across an offer of CB1 from an Italian seller. As a precaution, I didn't purchase immediately, but mailed him first, telling him of all my past experiences and asking him to check with the light trick. And guess what: He was fooled, too. He said that he had bought the game some time ago from the UK...

That's it alright? Think again (this time, things went a little bit different)!

A week ago, I stumbled across an offer of CB1 from an English seller. As a precaution, I didn't purchase immediately, but mailed him first, telling him of all my past experiences and asking him to check with the light trick. And guess what: IT WAS LEGIT!!! BUT: He cancelled his offer, telling me, that, after all the things I had told him, he decided to keep his copy for now, thinking of its value, in view of all the fakes flooding the market... I felt really stupid after that. :-(

Well, that's the whole story so far. The results:

1)about 1.000 GBP paid and (thank God!) fully refunded;

2)ATM, an international eBay market that is completely wiped out of fake-factory-sealed copies of Crash Bandicoot;

3)many unlucky sellers, who thought they'd sell valuable games, which turned out as garbage;

4)still in search for the first part; ATM, there's an offer from a German seller in sight, but it's far too expensive in my eyes; also, after all the past experiences, I doubt that it's legit; I'm still waiting for his answer and the photos...

As for myself, these things have turned me into a very cautious and wary buyer, who - after every arrival of a new factory-sealed game - investigates every single inch of the case, equipped with many special instruments, black light, and a lot of patience: at least two hours of investigation per game.

Sounds crazy? Well, before I discovered this forum and made this experience, I always thought that factory-sealed would mean factory-sealed. I thought it was impossible to imitate that look, and I could never-ever imagine that there are people outside doing this in a more or less professional way.

Time has changed, and I have grown - my feathers are watching everything...

#18 OFFLINE   tkC

• Collection

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:53 AM

Blimey what an eye opener, I wonder how many people here may have an actual resealed copy and think it's legit, makes you wonder if it's other titles too in the PS1 collecting world... bad times.

#19 OFFLINE   adam005

Posted 04 April 2017 - 08:57 AM

Yes I had my suspicions about that ebayer Pope seemed to have loads of the same sealed ps1 games mainly crash bandicoot he offered me one at a reduced price but I changed my mind luckily

#20 OFFLINE   GPS

• Collection

Posted 04 April 2017 - 11:09 AM

Good on you @Peacock, for sharing with us this story. It certainly makes you realize that currently the reseal market is quite widespread and often the resellers or the new sealed collectors are none the wiser, some thinking the reseals are actual legit copies. Whether we like it or not, sealed collecting is getting tougher each day, both in amount of money spent and also the amount of time figuring out whether the game you're about to buy is a sealed or or a damn resealed!