VGA

Welcome to Sealed Game Heaven

Sign In 

Create Account
Welcome to Sealed Game Heaven, the internet's #1 forum devoted to Sealed Video Game collectors! You’ll find that this is a place where many fellow sealed collectors will not only show and discuss sealed games, but also partake in the buying, selling & trading of both sealed and unsealed games. At SGH we don’t discriminate against any of the big 3 companies or PAL / NTSC, rather we enjoy discussion about games from all the consoles and eras (Modern, Vintage; Atari & Sega; Nintendo, Sony, Microsoft). To view and use our community, you must become a member. This is a simple free process & once done you’ll gain access to:

- Our Game Sale & Trade Boards.
- Sealed Game Databases from Every Console.
- Information on Seal Types, Styles & Variants for both NTSC and PAL.
- Frequent updates on both Pal and NTSC Sealed Game Listing’s.
- Confirmation & Evidence in relation to Factory Seals & Reseals.
- VGA Discussion Forum & Guides for your First Submissions.
- What is a Game Worth? Well simply join and ask in our game value sub section.

Happy Hunting!

All new accounts will be validated by our admins within 24-48 hours :)

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo

What Everyone Already Knew, UKG is a Garage Scam

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Startyde

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:38 PM

Rule of thumb, if it's not US based, 99 percent Fraud.

#2 OFFLINE   Fezi

Posted 16 June 2016 - 06:52 PM

Aint got audio right now. I only see the picture of 85, what was the regrade?

At least from comic book grading I know this kind of stuff from US based authorities as well. So it aint got nothing to do with the location in general. A larger study would be great about if grading companies are fraud in general, if someone ever does a kickstarter about this, I would support it. :)

#3 OFFLINE   justice

• Collection

Posted 16 June 2016 - 07:06 PM

This story is gone through Facebook already. Here is the original video. UKG is shit anyway, VGA is the real thing and always will it be:

#4 OFFLINE   Fezi

Posted 16 June 2016 - 07:14 PM

Thank you for the video, julian. 75+ to 85 is crazy. 

#5 ONLINE   tkC

• Collection
  • Regional Focus:PAL

Posted 16 June 2016 - 07:21 PM

Completely agree, I've sent a few UKG items to VGA to have regarded now, not a UKG fan at all and I'm in the UK.

#6 OFFLINE   Lyonz

• Collection
  • Regional Focus:PAL, NTSC-U/C, JAP

Posted 16 June 2016 - 07:25 PM

Completely agree, I've sent a few UKG items to VGA to have regarded now, not a UKG fan at all and I'm in the UK.

Same here! Costs me so much more since UKG is shit lol

#7 OFFLINE   justice

• Collection

Posted 16 June 2016 - 07:32 PM

No problem fezi. And yes, what for people do sit over there at UKG when i can ask? That are people who have no n otion from grading. Even i have more notion of grading as a long time sealed collector, lol. Its clearly to see that this is no 75+ grade (too less damage) and also no 85 grade (too much damage). This is a clear 80+ grade for me. Ok with luck maybe a 85 is just so and still justified, because of the clean cellophane and the rest of the box being pretty mint, but still, how can u come to a 75+ grade before lol. Totally makes no sense.

I can open up my own grading company, then all the guys of the forum can send their sealed games to me! :cuddle:

EDIT: just edited my post again. This forum censors some words to bullshit and the post makes no sense anymore. Now it fits again. :)

#8 OFFLINE   Lizard Slayer

• eBay
  • Collection

Posted 16 June 2016 - 07:33 PM

I hate these retards in the video...

#9 OFFLINE   Fezi

Posted 16 June 2016 - 07:38 PM

I am wondering about my alundra PAL copy, which is clearly not a 75 at all.. it has no visible damages except that the cello is not perfect.

probably will get it regraded at VGA one day as well. But for now I feel more like grading in general is quite a waste of money if you don't tend to resell.

Same with the qualified Super Mario Bros 3... I think the quality of UKG went down more and more, looking at my first 3-4 submissions and the last 2-3 (I think I had seven at all). They forgot about price stickers, cleaning, grading scales became not as accurate as in the beginning, quite sad. Probably its because steve went to another section of the company or even left it (I'm unsure about it).

#10 OFFLINE   MattyDread

• Collection

Posted 16 June 2016 - 07:56 PM

Totally agree couldn't watch the whole video because they are such annoying twats!

#11 OFFLINE   Lizard Slayer

• eBay
  • Collection

Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:41 PM

Totally agree couldn't watch the whole video because they are such annoying twats!

They do have one where they talk about hating Adam, that one is ok though...but all the rest suck. :P

#12 OFFLINE   Startyde

Posted 16 June 2016 - 08:52 PM

They do have one where they talk about hating Adam, that one is ok though...but all the rest suck. :P

Pat the NES nerd had a whole episode devoted to Scumbucky. Was pretty funny.

#13 OFFLINE   Gemini-Phoenix

Δίδυμοι-Φοίνικες

• 6,538 posts
  • eBay
  • Collection
  • Regional Focus:PAL, NTSC-U/C

Posted 16 June 2016 - 09:01 PM

Saw this on FB a few weeks ago when it was announced that the game was being re-submitted. Obviously this is the outcome.

While Pat does have some very valid points, as always, I always get the impression that he has a biased point of view as he has clearly made up his mind about such things. However, as we have discussed many times before on this forum, it's not unheard of for VGA submissions to be re-submitted and to score a higher grade, so it's a little unfair to target purely UKG for this. Discrepancies can be put down to having different people grading an item, or not being as strict as the first time

The comic book grading scene, and to some extent the action figure grading scene, are slightly different. Comic books don't come sealed, so they are graded purely on their actual condition, in the same way you would assess fresh veg in the supermarket to determine whether they are fresh enough. Action figures are a relatively new thing to be graded, but those are pretty much graded on the condition of their backing cards and blisters, with very little attention given to the actual condition of the figures inside the blister. Video games on the other hand are entirely sheathed in cellophane / shrinkwrap, so there is very little to actually grade there aside from what is visible to the naked eye. For older Nintendo games they can grade whether the corners are sharp or whether the box has been dented / squashed, and on PS1 and DC games they can see whether there are cracks or loose pips, but this is harder to do with newer games. Unlike with comic books and action figures, they can't actually see the physical game itself, which is really the most important part and the part you want to be preserving.

In terms of preservation, I think a lot of people would be grateful to just have an acrylic box to maintain the condition of a game, especially older Nintendo titles that are delicate and fragile. However, I think the thing that most people have against VGA and UKG are the random grades assigned to the items by self-proclaimed experts, and does not necessarily mean anything to anyone except stupid collectors who will pay more to upgrade an 85+ to a 90 just for the sake of it, without so much of a detailed breakdown of why the game was allocated that grade, or a list of what flaws prevented it from achieving a higher grade

With that all said, I find it funny how people are automatically jumping on the anti-UKG bandwagon and assume that VGA are any better! The fact that people are taking sides and defending VGA for being "the one true grader" is just as silly as religious extremists who start wars based on whose God is the real true God! Perhaps I see things a little differently because my vision is not clouded by the urge to grade like a lot of other people, but from where I sit it does seem quite hilarious to see people losing their shit over something as petty as a fictional grade by so-called experts who have not received any doctorates or other certificates certifying them as qualified to assess items and allocate bona-fide grades, whereas I would imagine that the people who grade comic books are trained professionals who have certificates to prove their worth!

As stated n the video above, there's no way of knowing who graded the item either the first or second time, or even if it was the same person! Same applies to VGA as well. In hindsight, both companies should have implemented a system to tell who was responsible for grading a particular item. Perhaps VGA actually do retain such information on their database, and is just not public knowledge. Hell, does anyone here even know the names of anyone who represents these companies? Bearing in mind that both grading businesses are very cagey about the exact location of their premises, and there is very little interaction between the people who work for these companies and the people who use their services. Hypothetically, how do we even know that these people aren't taking small bribes on the side in order to increase grades of certain items (although that is borderline slander, so I will cease right there)?

It just seems a bit odd that so many people get their knickers up in a bunch over such a thing. I do think that this particular case is a rarity, and for the most part I agree that if other items were re-submitted they would likely score the same grade as they were first awarded, and that this was just a hiccup in the system. The only reason why this one has gained so much attention is because the submitter deliberately set out to prove this point, and even announced his intentions via social media beforehand. He is clearly trying to discredit UKG and their services in the process, and could likely end up backfiring if UKG decide to sue him for fraud or libel. At the end of the day I see it as quite pathetic that: A) Anyone would waste their time trying to prove / disprove something so mundane; and B) So many people still get so worked up over an instance like this!

I will also add that there is a complete lack of evidence that the item that has apparently been re-graded is in fact the exact same item. It's a relatively common game, and while I do accept that the person did in fact waste his time re-submitting it, it should also be considered that the two games shown are actually two entirely different items used purely to prove the point trying to be made. Unless the game has any specific markings, I would say be careful what you believe on the internet, as such a thing would be pretty easy to fabricate with the sole intention of discrediting a business or businesses, and throwing an entire community of collectors into turmoil! Trolls do exist, and this is exactly the sort of thing they would do just to get their kicks!

At the end of the day, if you're one of these people who puts stock in blind faith and believes in religion or video game grades, rather than forming your own opinions about things, then you deserve this video. If, like me, you don't need other people to fill your head with such ideas and notions, and are quite content with making your own judgement calls, then well done - You're an individual, not a sheep! If you need pretty numbers on a stocker to make your life more worthwhile, or require a book of stories to tell you how to live your life, then there really is no hope :rolleye:

#14 OFFLINE   Fezi

Posted 16 June 2016 - 09:28 PM

Totally agree with you. It aint a single company but grading in general. 

What I feel more and more in the internet (especially now, at e3) is all that fanboyism with brands and companies (like VGA is one, or Sony, or Destiny and the Division). And that people try to defend their company in any way they can plus talking down all things other companies do. Instead of appreciate a nice Halo trailer, Zelda trailer, God of War trailer people tend to speak badly about everything at all.

This makes me wonder why people, me included, use so much of their energy / lifetime call it whatever to speak bad about stuff. I mean, it feels a thousand times better to write something good about a game I like instead of writing something bad about something I do not like at all. Kinda should think about that next time I am going to argue with someone about some nonsense. :lol2: 

#15 OFFLINE   Val

• Collection

Posted 16 June 2016 - 09:35 PM

Pat "Grading how new it is...? How can you grade how new is it ?" 4852210.gif

Everytime I hear this guy talking i feel like washing my whole head and body with bleach....

Please Pat do me a favour ... Be happy with your "crap eated by dog" collection and start admiring the beauty of our collections.

#16 OFFLINE   Startyde

Posted 16 June 2016 - 09:53 PM

it's not unheard of for VGA submissions to be re-submitted and to score a higher grade,

I'll comment on the rest later GP, but a few points:

1. Do you have a single example of where the game was reoppened from VGA and submitted with a radically "higher" grade?

2: VGA offers regradding a service. It's a 1 in 10 shot that maybe, MAYBE your grade will change a plus value (85 to 85+...maybe)

That is not what we're talking about here. We're talking about a firm, UKG, that popped out of nowhere, with no background. Not unlike Pascal's past service, run by a genuine lunatic, Vs CGA, which for better or worse, has a 15 year history across several different hobbies and fandoms. 

#17 OFFLINE   Fezi

Posted 16 June 2016 - 09:59 PM

Probably show it UKG and ask for a statement, if they chose to do some transparency about how they grade it could be quite interesting as how that companies grade in particular seems a pretty black book to lots of people. 

#18 OFFLINE   sephiaya

• Collection

Posted 16 June 2016 - 10:02 PM

What is funny Is that I believe Steve may actually be operating out of his garage :lol:

#19 OFFLINE   GPS

• Collection
  • Regional Focus:PAL

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:00 PM

If it is true that the game was one in the same, transforming from a 75+ to an 85, then it proves a few things:

- UKG is dodgy

- all grading services are dodgy

- grading can be subjective

Maybe all of the above.

But like G-P has pointed out, the guy on the youtube may be a bit prejudice against UKG, and there is a possibility the 75+ cracked open may not be the 85 that was in the re-submission. It may well in fact be a scandalous act to bring down UKG. Possible?

Although I have some graded games, and appreciate them more so in the recent months. I do also see the downsides of obtaining graded games. Each one of us needs to see the plus and the minus of a grading service, as I truly doubt there is such thing as 100% fool-proof, 100% reliable service.

For those who thinks graded games are only for those resellers, well I can honestly say that I'm obtaining graded games for the challenge and the appreciation of true rarity. To be honest, I doubt if I were to sell some of my graded games that I will make much profit. So VGA/UKG doubters or lovers, it's never black or white. Life is usually grey!

#20 OFFLINE   Gemini-Phoenix

Δίδυμοι-Φοίνικες

• 6,538 posts
  • eBay
  • Collection
  • Regional Focus:PAL, NTSC-U/C

Posted 16 June 2016 - 11:09 PM

Totally agree with you. It aint a single company but grading in general. 

What I feel more and more in the internet (especially now, at e3) is all that fanboyism with brands and companies (like VGA is one, or Sony, or Destiny and the Division). And that people try to defend their company in any way they can plus talking down all things other companies do. Instead of appreciate a nice Halo trailer, Zelda trailer, God of War trailer people tend to speak badly about everything at all.

This makes me wonder why people, me included, use so much of their energy / lifetime call it whatever to speak bad about stuff. I mean, it feels a thousand times better to write something good about a game I like instead of writing something bad about something I do not like at all. Kinda should think about that next time I am going to argue with someone about some nonsense. :lol2:

There is definitely a level of fanboyism going on here. It's not so much being done to prove that grading as a whole is a "con" (as some may call it), but rather being done in order to make VGA appear in a better light, and to deliberately slate UKG. I could kind of understand if it were being done in order to make grading as a whole look bad, but there is a clear sway towards one side here

I think the majority of those who do grade are already aware of the differences between VGA and UKG. Most will also prefer VGA over UKG, but for those in the UK who don't want to risk the exporting and importing their rare games, UKG is a perfectly viable service that does everything VGA does. Yes, so it may not do it quite so well, but then VGA have had a decade or so more to establish themselves. Does it make VGA any more qualified? No, but it does mean they have the experience to provide a better service to their customers. UKG on the other hand are just finding their feet, and of course there are going to be discrepancies because nobody really expects trolls like this to be smashing open a graded game and re-submitting it! I can think of several instances where other people have done the same with VGA in order to deliberately discredit them, and for the most part the games have been returned with the same grade, but occasionally one may slip through with a slight increase in grade awarded. Like I say, they may have different people grading on different days, and one may be a lot stricter than another in the same way that you may take a driving test one day with an instructor that will fault you for sneezing, whereas another day a different instructor would let you off

Pat "Grading how new it is...? How can you grade how new is it ?" 4852210.gif

Everytime I hear this guy talking i feel like washing my whole head and body with bleach....

Please Pat do me a favour ... Be happy with your "crap eated by dog" collection and start admiring the beauty of our collections.

Not to slag Pat off or anything, but I do get a general feeling that he is a very pessimistic collector in general, which seems to be the crux of his whole podcast / YouTube channel. The majority of his videos are usually the negative kind, and he always seems to be displeased with some aspect of the hobby or another. However, that's news, so that's what he discusses. This is the kind of topic that creates endless discussion and debate, as we are doing right now, whereas talking about positive things would not really be as interesting. If you look at a lot of the other successful gaming YouTubers, most will only post videos about aspects of the hobby that they are dissatisfied with, and will rarely post to praise a company or to show their excitement over a new product or feature. It's far easier to slate the things that are not to your liking and get people following you, than it is to wax lyrical about something you're excited about. It's essentially the same as working class people hating those who drive around in £50k cars. Cart-only collectors are always going to hate sealed collectors.

it's not unheard of for VGA submissions to be re-submitted and to score a higher grade,

I'll comment on the rest later GP, but a few points:

1. Do you have a single example of where the game was reoppened from VGA and submitted with a radically "higher" grade?

2: VGA offers regradding a service. It's a 1 in 10 shot that maybe, MAYBE your grade will change a plus value (85 to 85+...maybe)

That is not what we're talking about here. We're talking about a firm, UKG, that popped out of nowhere, with no background. Not unlike Pascal's past service, run by a genuine lunatic, Vs CGA, which for better or worse, has a 15 year history across several different hobbies and fandoms. 

I don't pay that much attention to VGA discussions to give exact examples, but I do know that there are similar instances where collectors - both here and on other forums - have busted open a VGA game and sent it back in order to see whether it will achieve a better grade. Like I say, for the most part they will often return with the exact same grade, but there are occurrences where a game has returned with a grade higher. Certainly nothing as extreme as the Zelda game being discussed in this thread though, but higher grades from re-submissions do happen from what I have seen

Why would VGA even offer a regrading scheme? I can understand them offering re-casing, but regrading sounds a bit iffy. They could essentially just take your money twice, have a laugh, and send it back with the exact same grade. Or lower, just to be bastards. If they regrade and score it higher, then that is essentially the same as giving them a bribe to score it higher. They may as well deliberately grade everything a silver grade, and then offer people the chance to regrade in order to potentially tip it over to a gold! Very suspicious of offering a regrading scheme! :nono: