Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Gemini-Phoenix

Gemini-Phoenix's Sealed Atari Jaguar Collection

3 posts in this topic

I've had these two games sitting around for ages, long forgotten. I've had a Jaguar since launch, yet never bought any games for it except the few I bought when it first came out. When I first discovered eBay, my initial intentions were to seek out and complete my Jaguar collection, and get hold of all those games that I had passed up in favour of the PlayStation. These were the first and only two games I bought before deciding the Jaguar scene was not for me, and I lost interest in the console and games some time ago

One thing I never really understood about Jaguar games is how to tell their origin. I know that there was great controvocy over the console at launch due to a lot of US machines getting converted to be sold to the unsuspecting UK public, and as the Jaguar was multi-region, many US games infected the UK market. One obvious sign of origin is the ESRB logo, which denotes a game of US origin, although not all games at the time had this. Another thing I have never been 100% sure on is how to tell a factory sealed copy from a reseal, although I believe factory sealed copies have a thick vertical seam down the back and exhibit hanging tabs

The two games I bought were Tempest 2000 and Flashback, two of the better and more popular games on the system at the time. I was actually bidding on about a dozen games from the same seller, who also had games such as Alien Vs Predator, Doom, Brutal Sports Football, and Power Drive, yet these two were the only ones I won. I really wanted AvP and Tempest 2000 the most, but I was happy with my winnings. I already had Doom, and Brutal Sports Football would've been nice to have as it's one of my favourite games of the era, but Tempest 2000 was a good compromise.

I can't remember exactly how or when I lost interest in the Jaguar, but I think it might have been the fact that sealed games for the console were both scarce and expensive. And at the time I wanted to focus more on the Dreamcast and N64 games, as they were becoming harder to get hold of and getting more expensive, as well as wanting to focus more on PlayStation games.

As you can see in the pics below, both games are prime examples of perfectly sealed Jaguar games. Both have vertical seams, sharp corners, and untorn plastic, and both have unused / unpunched hanging tabs as well! Flashback is clearly of American origin, although it's hard to tell what region Tempest 2000 is from.

Both games are for sale if anyone is interested!

tempest2000flashbackfroma3.th.jpg tempest2000flashbackbacrv0.th.jpg

Sealed Atari Jaguar games:

• Flashback
  • Tempest 2000

Hi Gemini-Phoenix JUST WANT TO TELL YOU THAT YOU HAVE THE US VER TEMPEST 2000 CAUSE I GOT BOTH VER THE EUROPE VER CODE IS J9010E AND HAVE 3 LANGUAGES DESCRIPTION ON THE BACK :pictures:

Hi Gemini-Phoenix JUST WANT TO TELL YOU THAT YOU HAVE THE US VER TEMPEST 2000 CAUSE I GOT BOTH VER THE EUROPE VER CODE IS J9010E AND HAVE 3 LANGUAGES DESCRIPTION ON THE BACK :pictures:

Thanks for the info. Although I have to say that I have long since sold Tempest 2000 as I had always suspected that it was a US version. I still own Flashback, although this has been sitting in my trade box for quite some time. If I ever get back into collecting Jaguar games, I would most definitely try to seek out the European releases, although I have noticed that there are many NTSC games which have flooded the European market